Thursday, August 7, 2014

My New Friend

On Sunday I met a new girl on the dating site Christian Mingle and we have become fast friends. In order to tell about her and to protect her privacy we'll call my new friend Misty.

Misty told me on Tuesday about a disorder that she has been battling since she was about 13. She has the eating disorder bulimia. Now I know absolutely nothing about the disease but she has a blog and on one of her posts she explains what bulimia is:

Bulimia Nervosa.
      :a serious eating disorder that occurs chiefly in females, is characterized by compulsive overeating usually followed by self-induced vomiting or laxative or diuretic abuse, and is often accompanied by

                   guilt and depression

This is the Webster’s definition of bulimia. For  someone who has never had this struggle, that is a good base definition.

Here's the link to her blog if you're interested in learning more about her struggle.

Reading that blog and talking to her and having her explain to me the battle she is up against just rips my heart out. No one should have to go through that kind of pain.

I want to have a serious relationship with her but that is simply not possible right now because she has too much going on right now. It is very understandable that she is in no position mentally to handle a serious relationship while she wages war on this disorder she has named Ed. I respect her wishes and boundaries and will be a friend to her. She needs a real friend to offer her support and encouragement right now and I am going to do everything I can to be that friend.

All I ask from you right now is to pray for her. Pray that she is able to get the help she needs to defeat Ed. That's the important thing right now.

No comments: